My little sweet and charming

Kreeli crossed the Rainbow Bridge today.

She was born almost 16 years ago. — she was just shy by a month and some change. We got her as a puppy from the lady who provided daycare for my boys. Since my oldest was being homeschooled at the time (yes ,while I was working full-time — I don’t miss those days), he knew her since the day she was born. She was always his dog, even though I was the one to name her (I didn’t want a name that meant “princess.” It took me a long time to find her name, which means sweet and charming. She was always that, or at least most of the time).

Today wasn’t the day I would have chosen for her to go. I saw her start declining fast this week and it was obvious that she wasn’t enjoying life any more. I was hoping she’d make it until the weekend or into early next week. This week, my oldest had college finals and his girlfriend graduated today, so he didn’t even know how bad she was getting. I didn’t want to burden him with the news while he was trying to focus on finishing out his classes. Her decline just went a bit faster than I anticipated.

This morning, it became clear that she didn’t have very long at all, a day at most. A couple hours later and I wasn’t even sure she’d make it through the day. I had Adrian on his way over and once he arrived, we took her down to the vet’s office. It was a good call. I don’t think she would’ve lasted much longer anyway.

Shortly before Adrian got home, she made her wobbly way into my office this morning and plopped down on the floor. She wanted to be office dog like she had for so many years. I knew she didn’t want to be there because she was uncomfortable, but she also wanted her normal routine. Afraid that I didn’t have much longer with her, I took this final picture of her.

And I didn’t have much longer it. It was right after this that she took her drastic turn and I made the decision that once Adrian arrived, we’d be going out to the vet..

Adrian did make it to graduation on time, or I’m presuming he did since he had lots of time and we texted shortly before the ceremony. I watched it on livestream because I wasn’t feeling up to making the drive or being around a lot of people. I’m glad that he had something else to turn his attention to today, that he’ll have good memories of this day too.

I tried to make it into my office to write this evening, but it didn’t feel right. It’s strange not having her beside me in her “publisher dog” position either as I write this. I suspect tomorrow morning will feel just as awkward without her. Poor Merlin knows she’s missing, but I don’t know how much he understands about what happened. I think he knew something was up. He’s been very reserved today, but I think he’s still waiting for Kreeli to come home.

I went for a walk before dinner this evening. The image above is the clouds this evening. For some reason, in the big grey mass I could see Thor raising his hammer. It felt like the signal that she had made it across the Rainbow Bridge where her friend, Boka (one of my parents’ dogs) was waiting for Kreeli. The two of them played together so much. I remember the day we went to my dad’s and Boka wasn’t there. Kreeli spent the entire time looking for her friend. So, I’m glad that they are finally reunited. And, I’m sure my dad is there calling her “Treeli” because his hearing was so bad that even when I’d write it out for him, he could never understand that it was Kreeli. (*shaking my head*)

Kreeli certainly held onto this mortal life for a long time. I think it’s one of the reasons she went as fast as she did — her body could no longer keep up to her spirit.

I live in sadness for the piece of her that will be missing from my life, but I am grateful that she is gloriously free and reunited.

Bless you, my little sweet and charming one.